Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/langfellow/mnscore.com/blog/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 82
TWINS NOTES: · The Twins lost to the Royals tonight, and have now dropped six of their eight against the Royals this season…the Twins are now 15-20 against AL Central opponents this season…despite the loss, Minnesota is 11-5 in their last 16 at home…Minnesota is 6-5 vs. KC at home since the start of the 2012 season…the Twins pitching staff allowed four home runs tonight, the most this season and the most since also allowing four homers on September 24, 2012 vs. New York-AL.
· Tonight’s game was delayed a total of 26 minutes prior to the first pitch…it marked the second delay of the season at Target Field with the other being a 3 hour delay on May 19 vs. Boston, which was the longest delayed game in Target Field history…tonight was the 10th delay in the history of Target Field.
· P.J. Walters allowed six runs on six hits, two home runs and one walk while striking out one in 3.0 innings tonight…he has now allowed 12 runs in his last 3.2 innings pitched in his last two starts (29.45 ERA)…it marked the second time in his career to allow at least six runs in back-to-back starts, the last being September 5-12, 2012.
· Clete Thomas (2-for-4) hit his second home run of the season with a solo shot off Shields in the fifth inning…it was his second home run in his last eight games…over his last eight he is hitting .310 (9-for-29) with two homers, two doubles, nine runs scored and four walks…Thomas has at least one run scored in each of his last six games, and at least one in nine of his last 10 games…over those 10 games he has crossed the plate 12 times…he has scored nine runs in nine games as the Twins leadoff hitter this season…five of his 17 games with at least two at-bats this season have been multi-hit efforts.
· Trevor Plouffe (1-for-3) extended his current hit-streak to a season-high 10 games with a single in the fifth inning, also the second longest of his career…over the 10 games he is hitting .308 (12-for-39) with a double, six RBI and a walk.
· Justin Morneau (1-for-4) hit his 21st double of the season, driving in a run in the fourth inning…the double passes Harmon Killebrew (277) for sole possession of 11th in franchise history (since 1901)…his 278 career doubles are 27 behind Rod Carew (305) on the Twins all-time list (since 1961)…he is now five doubles shy of his 2012 total (26)…he has eight doubles in his last 18 games, four of which have generated at least one run.
· Josh Willingham (1-for-3) has a hit in 19 of his last 23 games against the Royals, since the start of the 2012 season…he has reached base safely in 60 of his 69 games played in 2013.
· Brian Dozier (2-for-4) collected his first multi-hit game since June 16, a span of nine games…he had just one hit in his last 16 at-bats coming into tonight.
· Caleb Thielbar tossed a scoreless inning tonight and has now made 14 consecutive scoreless appearances to start his career, since May 20…he is one of only eight MLB players to start his MLB career with 14 appearances with no runs allowed since 1921…he is the first since Joe Patterson (19 straight, April 2-May 20, 2011).