Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/langfellow/mnscore.com/blog/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 82
The Twins came back from a 6-0 deficit to beat the Angels 10-9 Thursday and take the home opening series two games to one. Minnesota scored 4 times in the 8th inning to take a 10-7 lead and hung on in the ninth for their 2nd win of the season
· The Twins were 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position through the first four innings and 6-for-12 the rest of the game…they won a series vs. the Angels for the first time since April 5-8 at LAA.
· Each Twin starter had at least one hit in today’s game and they finished with 20 on the day…the Twins had just one game with at least 16 hits all of last season…they entered today with just 29 hits over their first five games…they had 20-or-more hits in a game for the 50th time since moving to Minnesota, and first since July 26, 2010 at K.C.
· Jeff Gray picked up two wins in the series despite throwing just three total pitches.
· The five steals allowed by Francisco Liriano today is the most allowed by a Twins pitcher since Carl Pavano allowed five on June 3, 2010.
· The last time Mauer and Morneau homered in the same game was July 6, 2010…the home run by Morneau was his first at Target Field since July 3, 2010 vs. TB.
· Chris Parmelee (2-for-5) is batting .458 (22-for-48) in his career at Target Field, hitting safely in 12 of 13 games here.
· Joe Mauer (3-for-5) hit a home run at home for the first time since August 18, 2010 vs. CWS when he hit it to left field…a span of 225 at-bats and 258 plate appearances between Target Field home runs…he had three-or-more hits in a game for the first time since August 21, 2011 vs. NYY.
· Mauer now has 1,102 career hits, moving him within four hits of tying Michael Cuddyer (1,106) for 10th on the Twins All-Time list…he caught a noon game the day after catching a night game for the first time since July 4, 2011.
· Josh Willingham has hit safely in all six games this season, homering in four of those…he has collected at least one rbi in five of six games this season…he has homered in three consecutive games for the fifth time in his career, last August 7-10, 2011.
· Coming into today’s game, Willingham’s four homers this season would lead the Majors.
· The Twins loaded the bases on two separate occasions in today’s game, going 0-for-3…they have now loaded the bases three total times this season, going 0-for-4 in those situations (Morneau 0-for-2).
· Denard Span (4-for-5) had his 12th career four-hit game and first since April 13, 2011 vs. K.C
Photos by Brad Rempel