Sun 19 Apr 2009
· The Twins swept the Angels for the first time in a three-game series since August 6-8, 1996…their last sweep of any opponent was on September 23-25, 2008 vs. CWS…Minnesota went 3-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
· The Twins have now won four of their last six games…they collected 10-plus hits for the third straight game and sixth time this season…they out-hit the Angels in the series 35-23.
· Glen Perkins lowered his season ERA to 1.50 (24.0 ip, 4 er)…he became the first Twins starter to log three straight 8.0-inning outings since Johan Santana did it June 2-14, 2005…first win for Glen since August 27, 2008 at Seattle…Perkins retired 14 of the last 15 batters he faced.
· Jose Morales collected his first career rbi with a second inning single…second multi-hit games this season and second extra-base hit with a fifth inning double.
· Carlos Gomez recorded his second, third and fourth infield hits of the season today…also his first multi-hit game of the season with the last coming September 25, 2008 vs. CWS.
· Brendan Harris is hitting .347 (25-for-72) in his last 27 games, dating back to August 29, 2008…he has hit in his last four games and is batting .421 (8-for-19) on the homestand…he made starts at second base, third base and shortstop during this homestand.
· Joe Nathan is 3-for-3 in save opportunities this season…he has given up just three hits in 5.0 innings pitched while striking out five in five appearances.
· The Angels dropped just their sixth game in their last 14 against the Twins…they lost three straight vs. the Twins for the first time since June 6-July 21, 2007.
· Shane Loux made his ninth career start and his second of the season…he set a career-high with 7.0 innings pitched…first ever quality start.
· Torii Hunter (1-for-4) extended his hit-streak to seven straight games…he is batting .360 (9-for-25) with three doubles, four home runs seven runs scored and seven rbi during that span.
· Bobby Abreu (2-for-3) has a career batting average of .377 (40-106) vs. the Twins…he leads the Angels with 17 hits and has hit in all-but-two games this season.
· Abreu stole his seventh base of the season, making him seven-for-seven on the season…came into play today second in the AL in steals behind teammate Chone Figgins.
· Angels starters have pitched into the sixth inning in 10 of the teams first 12 games this season…they have a collective ERA of 2.86 (69.1 ip, 22 er).
· Daniel Davidson made his Major League debut in today’s game, tossing 1.0 scoreless inning of relief.
· Erik Aybar had four hits in 11 at-bats in the series…he is 7-for-20 (.350) on the team’s current road trip.
No Responses to “ Twins beat Angels 3-1; Sweep series ”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.